Thursday, November 14, 2013

new bedroom progress

October and November have been very busy months for Terry - he had the box maze and the fall retreat. But that didn't stop him from getting some work done on Noah and Samuel's new bedroom. He would say that his dad encouraged him when they were talking about how it wouldn't take much. 

So, work began on the new bedroom the first weekend of October during the huge freak blizzard, when he completed the framing and demo of the wet bar. The next couple weeks were devoted to wiring, hanging insulation and drywall and installing the door and closet. The week of the box maze the project, understandably, sat for a while. But once the fall retreat was over and Terry helped a friend texture his entire upstairs, he felt motivated again. Plus, another friend from church who had also been texturing volunteered to come help Terry get started on the taping. And here are Jason and Terry getting started. We were so grateful for the help that night. It was wonderful.


Over the next week Terry put a second and third coat of mud down on the seams. This is the third. He's in there prepping the room for texturing.


Then he scraped the stupid popcorn texture off the ceiling. It was necessary because 1) it's ugly, and 2) it needed re-textured after the new flat seams were added.


This last Monday I helped Terry texture. I didn't do much. It was fun to see him do it after all his descriptions of feeling like a Ghostbuster last time he did it. The spraying didn't take much time. It was the prep work of taping off everything we didn't want textured that took several hours. Poor guy.


The easiest part was just pulling that scraper across the blobs to knock them down. Oddly satisfying to me. 


I took over for the next part. It's about time I did something to contribute and I went a little crazy. I don't know what came over me but I'm just so sick and tired of this project and my house in transition and a mess. I primed everything on Tuesday. Painted the rest yesterday. Today I finished all second coats of paint that needed it and the touch ups.
Tuesday: Priming


Another reason I moved so fast was I was quite ready for some color down there. Noah really wanted orange so that's what we did. Just the one wall so as to not overwhelmed your eyeballs. I really, really love it. It's called Osage Orange by Sherwin Williams. And actually, Noah was super duper helpful. He rolled everything he could reach while I cut in. Then I went back over his work.


Here's a shot of the gray to the outside of the room. Plus you can see the bi-fold closet door and another one inside the room and as well as the bedroom door.


Boom baby! I had to paint all the old gray on the upper walls again since it didn't quite match up. And of course I had to prime and paint the dark wood wainscoting. Plus those doors all had to be primed and painted twice with semigloss.


Here's the other side of the room. I love love love it! Tomorrow is trim day. Hopefully this weekend we will move those boys in. And I will be a happy mama. And we will take a well deserved break.

No comments:

Post a Comment