Wednesday, September 14, 2016

first day of school 2016/2017

On Thursday, August 18, 2016, the kids and I turned up to hand in our homeschool exemption form at the school administration building. They love the fountain down there.



We are making one small change to our Classical curriculum this year: Noah is doing a Monday afternoon two hour Essentials class with Classical Conversations. I have many friends who have done CC in the past and they rave about it. We decided a small amount time in a small classroom would be good for Noah. In Essentials class, which I have to attend with him, we learn grammar (Essentials of the English Language), writing (Institute for Excellence in Writing), and some math review/practice. It has been a rather huge adjustment but we're slowly figuring it out. I took this photo at the church where we had our orientation meeting the week before class started.



The first day of class was Monday, August 22, 2016, and Noah jumped right in. 



He memorizes things crazy fast (what they're doing below) so even though it's only his first year and it's everyone else's second or third year, he's keeping up with the memory work pretty well.  



Let's rewind a bit to that morning. We did school at home Monday, August 22, 2016, but before we got started I made sure to take some first day of school photos (I forgot to take photos on the last day of 2015/2016!). Facebook gets overrun with them but I like to have them for the blog, obviously, and also for picture frames in the house that I change out every Christmas. 



Terry hadn't left yet so I threw him in there. I received a bunch of angry comments (kidding) on this photo, complaining about how the height slant between Terry and Noah was too great and that I needed to get into the photo to even out the angle. ;) Ha!  



I had Terry include the teacher with her class. 



Noah is 11 years old and starting sixth grade this year. Mind. Blown. 



Evie is 8 years old and starting third grade. 



Little Samuel is five years old and finally starting Kindergarten. No more school/preschool speech therapy for him. He's come a long way in the last two years and we're slowly moving through the reading curriculum at home.  



Ezra is three years old and perhaps should be titled Manager of Mischief, because he gets into a lot of it.  



Once pictures were done, the kids chased daddy down the street as he went to work, and we came in to get started on our first day.



Boom baby! First day of Reading for Samuel.



Ready or not, here we go! 



I was, and continue to be, not ready - even now, four weeks in. I don't want to! But we're doing it. It feels like we are very slowly figuring it out. I'll tell you what though, just like adding a third child to your family is a huge adjustment, so is adding a third kid to your homeschool. Even though it's just easy Kindergarten stuff, my school morning is crazy. My temper runs a little hot (ahem, a lot hot). I got stuff to figure out.



Oh, and yeah, the following morning (the second day of school), I bowed to pressure and used the tripod to set up the perfect gradual head gap slope and all was well in the universe again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment