Thursday, March 14, 2019

sledding during piano II

Just about this exact same time last year I took the littles sledding during the older's piano lesson. Only I didn't want to walk all the way to Canyon Lake like we did before so on March 5th, we decided to visit the hill on the Meadowbrook Golf Course. It is just across the street from Kathy's where we had gone for our first snow in 2016. 
This is the triple hill from 2016. 

I made the littles hike all the way to the top and slide from there.



At first the boys didn't want to even go there, but quickly changed their minds.



After a couple practice runs, Samuel finally hit a good line and rode it all the way down the three hills. He had such fun that he ran all the way back up and tried it again. Only this time it went horribly wrong! He followed that sled line right to the bridge. If only he had gone over the bridge... 



Sadly, he hit the side of the bridge and then dropped under it. He knocked all those bricks out with his speed. 



I was recording a Marco Polo to send to my family while this happened so I got the whole thing on video (sadly the quality is therefore poor). As you can see, Samuel was on his belly facing backwards so he couldn't see where he was going. Also he couldn't hear me yelling. We never ever thought such a thing could happen!



I was frightened that he was in serious peril. I didn't know what was under that bridge; whether it was ice, icy water, or how deep it went. He didn't get up right away so that made me even more afraid. But by the time I ran down there, he popped up, laughing while he did so. 



After that we instituted a new forward facing rule and Samuel never went as fast and recklessly again. 



There were some good drifts at the bottom of the hills.  



I don't think Samuel got a very good slide in after his debacle, but Ezra managed to get all the way to the bottom here. It's quite a long ride. 



Some pretty deeries later at sunset.



Samuel started a puzzle the next day in order to keep himself busy. 



I think I mentioned in my last post how well Samuel has been doing with his reading. He finished his phonics book! It ended with three or four syllable words that were at least third or forth grade reading level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment