Wednesday, October 23, 2019

{Mex/L.A. 2019} Day SIX - House building 3

We'd finally come to the final sprint of the race to finish the house. This was a very big day. And it was so hot! It made us thankful to have had the first two day's overcast weather. But we got it done...mostly. I, however, was pretty sick. I had felt sick (not stomach, but throat and chest) since arriving in Mexico but after attempting to dig out that cistern the previous day, I was a lot worse. I didn't work as hard I would've liked but I did get a lot more pictures!



More eggs I couldn't eat that morning! (I just had to prove that we had eggs, beans, and tortillas every single morning 😊)



There were many projects to complete, like finishing the siding...and the trim.



And shingling the roof.



Terry was busy everywhere.



Gotta get that loft drywalled. I helped that morning by doing the second coat of mud downstairs and then up in the loft when they were done. 



Lupita taking a look. 



Arleth went up there since it would be her room, potentially.



After lunch and an afternoon snack, Lynne brought out the crowning jewel of a gift that she had prayed and searched for...



A new wheelchair for Antonio! 



He had previously been in a too small ordinary child's wheelchair and it would've been extremely difficult to push up that steep hill. I think Lupita carried him up both times he came. 



She was very moved, as were we all. It was the highlight of the trip I think.



Lupita put him in the much cooler house.



I had to include the full video of giving Lupita the wheelchair since it was my highlight.




But there was still lots to do. Noah painted in the cracks.



Terry and Mike got to work on a triple bunk bed for the boys.



Meanwhile all the students went down the road for the final VBS.



Bible story time. 



Evie and Arleth got along great. Evie really loved her. 



Song time.



I took a few steps back to take in the surroundings. It really was the perfect location. 



More singing. 



They did a little face and/or body painting. Ha ha. 



Ana and Evie with that little cutie.



Terry took a break to come down and do balloon animals. 



When Terry and I went back to the house, we found Emmy and her boyfriend constructing a ladder all by themselves! 



How else was the family going to get into the loft?



Nearly done with those beds.



Lynne had brought more gifts and gave them to Lupita. 



All done and plenty sturdy.



Perfecto!



Evie and Arleth chilling (or sweating) in the loft. Steven had added that window and that helped a lot with the heat through ventilation.



There she is again. 😂



Getting ready to pray and say goodbye!



Evie volunteered to pray for the family after Sergio and I loved it!



Handing over the keys!



Goodbyes. Even though I couldn't speak hardly a word of Spanish and couldn't talk to Lupita (everything I wanted to try to say to her came to mind in French), I really came to love Lupita dearly. She was so content and humble and hard working and unassuming. 



And Evie loved Arleth. They exchanged phone numbers and texted some but it's kind of died out now. 



One last look inside at the finished product.



I love that little guy sitting there enjoying his room. 



The master bedroom.



The bathroom.



It's a long video but it encapsulates everything we did in those three days.



We didn't quite get every little thing done since we were short a day due to being stuck in California, but it was enough that they could finish if they wanted. 



Saying good bye was tough! A lot tougher than I thought it'd be. One last look behind me. 



We didn't leave until nearly 6:30 so we were late for dinner. Evie tackled Mike when we got back? I don't know. All kids love that guy. 



Even though we were tired everyone voted to visit the men's shelter just down the road. The former chief of police, a very strong Christian, had started it as an act of faith to house the addicts he was always arresting. Many, many of the men became Christians and were delivered. It was incredibly moving to watch them worship. It felt like heaven. 



They invited us up front and Sergio and Mike said a few things. I was glad we went even though I felt pretty terrible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment