Sunday, January 6, 2019

ranch sledding IV

On Saturday December 8th we went out to the ranch to help Terry's parents with some cell phone stuff. While there we ate together, visited the chickens, and went sledding. We got to watch the chickens be released from their coop when we arrived. They get less daylight time outside in the winter to ensure they lay their eggs where they can be found (they like to hide them, ha!) and stay warmer. 



We thought they were so cute tucked up in their little boxes. They were trying to lay an egg.



Ezra looks really mischievous here... Stay away from those hens!



Thumbs up from Evie.



Ezra kept trying to get them to peck at hay. 



Chickens!



From there we bundled up for some ranch sledding! The last time we went out there was February 2018 right before Samuel caught the flu real bad. There's the big tub the kids sit in...



...being pulled by the side-by-side instead of a four-wheeler!



The kids had so much fun. 



I caught some pretty fun expressions from Ezra...when his face was uncovered.



My first cell phone video.



It was so pretty out there.



Plenty of snow too!



Another good shot of an expression, this time Samuel's.



I'll tell you one thing, ranch sledding is a lot better from behind the windshield of a side-by-side (plus it wasn't as cold as last year). So. Much. Warmer. But still my fingers got so cold they were all prickly once we went inside. I think I have a mild case of Raynaud's disease, where your fingers cut off blood supply when cold, sometimes even when I'm not that cold. I have a couple fingers that will get all white occasionally. That was definitely the case this time.



More prettiness. 



One more cell phone video...




...and a video from the good camera.


Once we went inside to warm up I volunteered to go collect the eggs those hens had been working on. Unfortunately I dropped one like a ding dong. 



I was trying to take pictures of Chuck, the chukar partridge that has adopted the hens as his flock, when an egg fell out of my pocket. 



Isn't he cute? He straightened up here and ran by so quickly right in front of me. He reminded me of the Road Runner.



Jerry and Alice noticed Chuck hanging around the hens a couple months ago and my friend Brent, who is an avid birdwatcher, identified him for us immediately. Brent has even been out to the ranch a couple times to see him. Chuck is so funny. He even sleeps in the coop at night! The hens have gotten used to him, but he probably stuck around because of the grain. 



Oh, and as a tag on, that morning Denise and Jazmin had invited Zoe and I to a special Crossfit partner workout. It was very difficult but fun. If we had the funds I'd love to go to their gym all the time!



 Also, I am clearly the tallest one in the group. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment