Monday, September 7th, was kind of a tough day. We went to Morrison to work out like normal, but afterwards were informed that we were no longer allowed to use the gym...even though the rest of the 15 Morrison parents who regularly used it could. This was my last photo of the gym - admiring the lifting gloves someone had set out on the desk.
I took almost no photos that day b/c I was so upset. However, two friends messaged me (one to just catch up and one in support) that helped a lot. I went to bed that night praising God for His provision through the people that encouraged me. We prayed all week about what to do and decided to do nothing. I had a lot of anxiety about the whole thing and it vanished when we decided against emailing and challenging it. We'll just trust it to the Lord. Porky looks like he thinks the whole situation is sus too.

In other family news, on Monday Samuel took his first exam in his AP Computer Science class. We found out the next day he did very well! I was happy, since I really didn't know how the class would go. For Ezra's engineering and design class, he learned a program called Tink Cad and he came home completely obsessed. He was building digital creations, like a helicopter. Evie went to a café to write Vida letters for friends. The upcoming weekend was a spiritual retreat that the three Morrison schools created called Vida Nueva. Samuel applied and was one of twelve who were accepted to go. Part of the experience for the students included reading letters from meaningful people in their lives. I spent part of the evening secretly writing a letter for Samuel as Evie did earlier and Terry did the following day. Terry and Evie are reading my letter here.
Tuesday, September 8th, began with this beautiful photo of the cherry blossom tree we bought for Ana (along with Shari and both of our moms).
It had been Labor Day overnight, so Noah climbed Harney Peak with his Intervarsity group.
Noah was pretty tired out, but still went to a writer's group meeting afterwards.
That morning, Terry and I worked out together in our room. We did a HIIT workout so that we wouldn't need to use weights. I took it pretty easy, since the tile is so hard on my knees, and had leftover energy afterwards. I ran a mile of sprints and walking.
Flowers in the park. It was a beautiful day.
I walked to the store afterwards and saw this pretty pool with lily pads.
It was smelly in our room when I came back, so I opened up the window. Porky was very interested in the outside smell.
Terry and I visited two Linkou gyms to help us determine what we were going to do next. This one was Fitness Factory.
It was very nice. It was the more expensive and busy gym.
We had to wait for the manager at the next gym, so we went to 7-eleven for Terry to print some posters. They are for advertising an English class at En Cafe. Rex helped him make them.
What...is that...? I think that a lot here. 😂
7's are so fun. Everyone just hangs out in them. "So convenient."
Terry got a latte and I got some yogurt while we waited.
I guess I didn't take a photo of the second gym. It was called Genghis Khan Fitness Club. I didn't like it as much, but it is cheaper, less busy, and the people are more friendly. It's all underground, so there's fluorescent lighting (which actually really bothers me) and the air conditioning wasn't as good. But there is tons and tons of equipment. So much. Also, they gave us three free days to try it out before committing.
When we were done at the gym, we stopped in the bank at the ATM. We need to transfer money into our Taiwan bank account every month to pay rent.
Real attractive 0.5 Evie. Her middle school self, whose highest ambition was to "be weird," still lives in there.
On Wednesday, September 9th, we went for our first workout at GK! It is only 2-3 blocks from our apartment and directly across from the church. It definitely felt nice not having to bike 15 minutes to the school and then we were home a lot sooner too.
I have been working out with FASTer Way to Fat Loss since 2020 and had built my dumbbell home supply to up to 50 pounds. When we first moved to Taiwan I was working out in our apartment complex gym. However, they have very limited weights and hours...and it's always 85 degrees. It works in a pinch but doesn't allow room for growth and challenge. Plus, Terry just committed himself to getting stronger and doesn't want to "break the chain." It's already helping his sore shoulder feel better. We worked hard and sweated a lot.
We took photos of the slogans to send to Terry's Nebraska lifting partner, Kevin.
The night before, Terry had bought a Christmas plane ticket for Noah. We were excited. However, when Noah told his manager about the trip, she said she didn't know if she could give him time off. I was yet again upset. Second time that week. 😊 So perhaps that's why I'm just sitting there on the couch staring into space. Ha! Ezra took a random photo. We worked a compromise in the end where we will fly him here after Christmas so he can work the entire week leading up to Christmas.
That afternoon, Terry attended the first Cru meeting of the new school year with friends Abraham and Sarah. Afterwards, they all dispersed to share the gospel. Terry shared with this young man who was agnostic and not interested. But Sarah's conversation led to a prayer of acceptance of Christ!
All of them also discussed what it would look like for Terry to run an "English Corner" at the university every other week. Terry has spent a lot of time puzzling on how to do that this week.
Evie made delicious cake pops that day. She wants to try to make dinner and dessert every week.
On Thursday, September 10, we were tired from nearly four weeks straight of working out. But we went in for our second free day at GK and did upper body. We took more photos for Kevin afterwards.
Samuel has started doing school on the game table. The sun and company are good for his anxiety. Porky is also cute.
Random chilling Ezra.
Evie took Snapchat filter pictures of Porky and this one was my favorite.
See, Porky is always at hand to cheer Samuel up.
In the late morning, Terry went to lunch with the elder of church, Tim. They mostly discussed how to get people to attend an English class. Tim suggested he pay $10 for a Facebook ad. That's what he spent the evening on. We found out at church that three people had seen the ad! Then we went out for a coffee date while the boys were at practice.
We went back to Swell b/c I love the vibe. I debated on telling the owner that his dog had an ear infection of some kind. Terry did it for me and the guy said he knew.
I love their mochas. Though notice how much smaller the cups are from American versions. And much less sweet, which is growing on me.
I love all the beachy stuff. Makes me feel nostalgic for our California and Florida trips. Plus, I guess we do live on an island now. 😍🌴🏝🏖🌊
Evie made dinner that night (with minimal help). She said to me, "Why is it you and dad were smoking hot when you were my age and I'm not." I tried to tell her that was not the case and sent her my senior picture to prove it. She still disagreed. But I think she's way more beautiful.
I took a stroll down memory lane and downloaded all of my wedding video photos from Facebook. I don't have Terry's senior pictures digitally, but I have this football one. Very cute.
We woke up on Friday, September 11th, to happy news from Noah of a good day and eating out with his Moonrockers club. "I had twenty boneless chicken wings and ate them all." 😂
Terry and I slept bad, so we put off working out. That's another nice thing about the gym - less time constraints than Morrison. We had waffles and watched Price is Right with Samuel before he left for the weekend. We got him packed up and drove him through the rain to Morrison for his Vida retreat. The group took a bus down to the Taichung Morrison (MAC), which is the same place we have TMF.
It was raining, so we parked the van under the church building and walked over to the gym. We conquered leg day even though we would rather have skipped it.
It was so strange not having Samuel around. We're used to Evie being gone, but not Samuel. It was good, though. He needs to grow up too. We did a lot of chilling at home, though Evie did venture out to shop for a friend's birthday party that was the next day.
That evening, Terry and I went to bible study. Oliver brought his favorite soda from Panama. It was delicious!
We changed it up and sang before studying that evening.
On Saturday, September 12th, Noah sent us a couple of selfies with Trouncer, which are my favorite kind.
Evie and Anna rode a bus to Taipei for their friend Becklynn's birthday party.
Evie and Becklynn. Evie spent eleven hours out that day!
I talked to my folks and then my sister. I sent Steph this photo to prove I was finally getting ready. It was a very nice, slow morning.
That afternoon, Terry and Ezra went to play football in the park. Most of that week had been so lovely and cool...but not this day.
It was very hot and Terry sweat through his new hat.
They brought
Bafang home for lunch. Evie was dismayed we had it without her b/c dumplings are her favorite. We've been told Bafang is like Asian McDonalds. It's delicious but not healthy, also I was hungry an hour after eating it. Where's the meat?!
I went out that afternoon to buy some actual meat and was surprised to have to walk through an entire outdoor sort of night market on my way! I didn't notice all of the booths that had been set up til I went outside, but this was the view from our back windows.
I had also forgotten an umbrella, so I had to use a spare bag to cover my head from the rain that started when we left.
We had dinner and then went to visit the market, which saved us money, haha. It was fun! We discovered afterwards that a local politician put the event together. He's probably the same one with his giant picture hung out on the lot behind us.
On Sunday, September 13th, we went to church without Samuel. He's been helping with the AV setup and operation, but this week they didn't have him. Nanson's sermon about Jacob being a deceiver and then being disciplined for it was super meaningful to me. I made sure to tell Nanson how thankful I am for him.
I don't know why Terry and Ezra took this photo.
Samuel departed from MAC at 1-ish and we got the first text from him of the weekend. They took away everyone's phones and watches so they were totally disconnected. That's Samuel's friend Patrick, who is an amazing runner and also in Samuel's AP Computer Science class.
Terry drove to Morrison to pick Samuel up and he was very happy, though tired, when he got home. He was way more animated than usual as he told us about his weekend. It was a really good experience for him. He's told me several times since that he's glad we moved to Taiwan. There is a lot of opportunities for him here. He's growing a lot too, tackling things that some adults don't.
We had our family pizza movie night and Samuel enjoyed a really good night's rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment