Monday, August 21, 2017

Steven & Prae's wedding

Just eight days after we returned from our two week Utah and California trip, we had a very special wedding to attend. Steven and Prae, two of our youth leaders were getting hitched on July 7, 2017. We enjoy all weddings of course, but they are especially meaningful when they involve our own students (like Zach and Paige a few years ago now!)! 


We've known Steven since he was a wee little middle schooler during 2006-2007 when Terry and I were volunteer leaders in First E-Free's youth group. Then when we moved back to Rapid and Terry became the youth pastor at Parkview (new First E-Free), Steven was (and is) one of our youth leaders! 

Prae on the other hand was a high school student in our youth group nearly the entire time we've been here. Terry and Steven both got to know her especially well for the 2015 Mexico mission trip. After that summer Prae became a Christian and we praised God because of the work He did in her to bring her to Himself. In fact, it was Prae's baptism we just had to see before we drove to Sioux Falls in 2015 for a little vacation, as I mentioned in that post.

We were tremendously excited to see Steven and Prae married, particularly Evie. Even while we were on our trip, Evie talked about how excited she was, and then when we got home it was nearly a daily thing for her to mention. So it was no surprise to anyone who knows her that she spent quite a bit of time on a gift for them. She came up with this little mobile for them, as well as the customary card she always does. Terry also spent quite a lot of time working on a special gift for them too... He wrote them a song!



I took only one picture during the ceremony, when Prae and Eli walked past us in the back of the sanctuary. We all shed a few tears. She was so beautiful and we were so happy for them. 



Once at the reception, we hung around visiting with friends we hadn't see in a month due to sabbatical and traveling. It was great fun. I especially enjoyed seeing Jazmin in a dress. She hates dresses and this was the only time I had seen her in one. She sure loves Steven and Prae in order for her to wear a dress!



Denise, me, and Katrina all wore navy blue. 



Natasha had to get in there with her corral to add a pop of color. 



Jazmin and Zoe were wearing practically the exact same dress. 



Shortly thereafter, it was time for Terry to give his gift...that is, it was time for him to perform his gift. He was rather nervous and had to double check with Sarah, Prae's mother, a second time to ensure that it really was okay to sing to them. 


The song went amazingly well. It was brilliant! But I had had to force Terry to write it down and then twist his arm to get him to be willing to perform it. Terry had had the song running through his head for months and what I heard of it was so good I just knew he had to share it. He did something similar for our friends' Pam and Phil's wedding when Noah was a baby - he wrote them a personalized poem and even cried when he read it to them. Terry has a gift with words and especially rhyming. He's been good at it since he was a kid.

Terry's song was titled Shut Up and Marry Me, based on the song Shut Up and Dance with Me by Walk the Moon.

The first verse goes with the photo below from the 2015 Mexico Mission trip, during which they all  spent days and days driving together on the bus. 

V1
Steven was victim to the drive.
A Mexico mission trip by her side.
Pulled to Prae like an ocean tide.
2 weeks to work together.
The beginning of forever?

She took his arm.
Could this be the moment?
Gave him a hammer and said,

C1:
“Oh don’t you think like that.
Take your eyes off me.
I know you think I’m cute,
But shut up and build with me.
4 walls, some nails this family.”
She said, “oh-oh, shut up and build with me.”
Prae's reaction when the song started.

The second verse goes along with this tubing photo. On the 2015 middle school tubing trip, there were several "freedom tubes" leftover from L.A. that the lifeguards wouldn't allow them to use, and they kept getting passed around the tubing group. On the drive home that night, Jazmin was sitting in the front seat with Steven driving - she always sits in front since she gets sick. Prae was interested enough in Steven to ask Jazmin for the front seat in order to talk to him more. 
V2:
They fell captive to the stream.
Prae was interested it would seem.
The unfolding of Steve’s dream.
They were floating down the river,
Freedom tubes forever!

She took his arm,
Noticed it was hairy.
They talked all night in the van.

C2:
“I kind of like you back
And you’re very sweet,
But let’s not go too fast, so
Shut up and tube with me
I asked Jazmin for the front seat.”
She said, “oh-oh, shut up and tube with me.”
Prae was looking around for Jazmin when she heard that part.


The third verse, the bridge, goes along with this road tripping photo I took of Prae's Facebook. Steven offered to drive Prae to school in Vermillion the following fall...
Bridge:
Needed a ride,
Steve drove to Vermillion
Talked on the phone
-Lot’s of Snapchat!
Prae took his arm
-Even though quite hairy
They started dating, He said,

C3:
“We both think like that
You’re at USD,
It’s a 5 hour drive!”
She said, “Shut up commute to me!
I need to finish my degree!”
She said, “oh-oh, shut up commute to me!”  
Terry got Steven laughing so much he was wiping away the tears.

The final verse goes along with this photo from their engagement.

Final C:
On December 12th 
A Mt. Baldy hike
Steve got on a knee
“Prae, shut up and marry me!
Try 7/7/17.”
Steve said, “oh-oh, shut up and marry me!”

G C Em D

In summary, the song was hilarious and so sweet it made you want to cry. The first time I heard the verses I totally teared up. Good job my honey!



Here is the video of Steven and Prae watching Terry's song that I had Noah record. 



After Terry's song, the dancing started. Funny enough, the DJ, Jimmy, started with that Shut Up and Dance with Me song. Steven asked Evie to dance part way through the song. So stinking sweet!



Completely adorable.




I had another video of the dance that I might as well share. Such a good time, great memories.





I danced with Samuel for the couple's dance.



Samuel and Ezra were not interested in dancing in the beginning but it didn't take them long to join in the fun.



We joined Rae and Natasha to expand the fun. 



I had a fabulous time and was bursting with happiness for Steven and Prae. I would've danced more, but these earrings Shari gave me were swinging like mad. They made me feel pretty. Congrats again to Steven and Prae! We love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment