Wednesday, March 6, 2019

winter climbing, bouldering, & adventuring

I saw a meme of facebook just as February was about to roll around, that offered congratulations for getting through the year of January. That is exactly what January felt like, especially in the midst of our wood floor and stair/landing project. So when we received an invitation to go out climbing with some friends on Saturday, February 2nd, I jumped on board. Terry was at a men's conference for the whole day and we were bored and stir crazy. Well, I was anyway. The kids like to stay home and never leave. I need to get under the sun and open air every once in a while to keep my head.



Don't look too excited there Jaz. 😜



It's a floating Evie head! I think she may own an invisibility cloak...



We got there just as Denise was going up to lead the route and lay out the rope. 



Once the route was tethered down Jazmin took her turn.



They kept offering me to climb but I didn't feel safe with my kids running around. We were actually on a hillside above the highway in unfamiliar and potentially dangerous territory so me and the kids just wandered around in search of adventure. We walked off to the right of where they were climbing. You can see Jazmin there on the left and Noah at the top right after he scrambled up.



Mid-scramble. He's only about as high as my head from the ground. And Jazmin in the background.



Zeah hung out with us a bit initially.



Evie and Noah bouldered their way up with me spotting them from below. Samuel went around from the side, which was safer.



We left Ezra down below and went exploring to see what was beyond the climbing wall. We came up high above the highway and further back than where they were climbing. 



Samuel and Ezra came with me the second time we went up.



The view included Harney Peak (Black Elk Peak), trees, snow, and the highway. 



Behind me the children waited patiently...or threw pine cones around.



We decided to go back a different way and discovered it was much easier than the way we had climbed up. That big rock wall is what we had been on top of. Evie is inching down on the left since the needles made it a bit slippery.



From behind the rock wall. 



At the end of the wall was a little rocky gully that we scrambled down. I totally slipped and fell on my butt the second time.



What it looked like form below.



After our two trips to the top we just hung out because we had to leave pretty quickly since we'd agreed to get Abby back to town.



The littles kept climbing around though. 



I did not plan well and had Ezra wear his galoshes since he had already got his shoes soaking wet at home. They worked pretty well since they were rubbery. But he got to this point and needed help down. Atta boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment