Thursday, October 18, 2018

my 37th birthday & a hike at Horsethief

This year my birthday fell on a Monday, September 17th, and Terry got to stay home since he still had a day off to use after his birthday fell on Labor Day two weeks earlier. We went for a glorious hike at Horsethief Lake that I would very much like to do again. 



But the day before I went rock climbing with Denise, Jazmin, and David. I hadn't been climbing on an actual mountain since the 2014 disConnect trip that Jazmin was also present at



While Jaz was booking it up this easy wall, Denise and I crawled up the back side which was like a spine. Kinda scary...but pretty sunlight up there!



First off Denise gave me a tutorial on how to knot and belay with the rope. I've gone climbing several times over the years since high school but no one had ever taught me how to do the belaying. 



I actually belayed Denise before I took a turn. There I go.



I was quite nervous before I even got started and continued to be while I was up there even though it was pretty easy climb. You have to learn to trust the rope. 



David took this photo from the top and I actually really like it. I did another harder route to my right that the other three had no problem with, but since there was an overhanging lip, I just could not figure it out. After falling a bunch, David finally get me down. My fingers were all peeling like crazy two weeks later. We hiked up the path a little ways on a climbed another rock twice as tall called Tit Mountain. 😑 It was scary! But I totally did it. 



The next day was my day! I use rarely use Snapchat but found this fun filter. 



We took the day off from school and relaxed for the most part during the morning. I had to make my own cake though because I just had to have my favorite Hershey's cocoa frosting. 



We packed a lunch and headed out as quick as we could, thought it wasn't too far before noon. Had to get a shot of Mount Rushmore as we went by. Nostalgia! 💜



This was just past the Rushmore and a bit later we hiked nearly to those big granite rocks. 



Once we got to the lake we had a quick picnic lunch. 



First we walked down the boardwalk to see if the trail I took as a kid still remained. 



"Durrrr..." 😆



There we are again. 😊



The trail I remembered was no longer there, or barely so. We drove up the road and parked at the "new" Horsethief Trailhead, number 14 on the map. We hiked not too far beyond where it merged with 89.



Beautiful from the start.



There was a very small creek that the trail followed and we had to stop at every opportunity to check it out. Cute little waterfall. 



Samuel wanted me to take his picture in this "cave."



Ezra crawled up next to the cave and some pretty color too. 



Off they go.



Evie found this tiny little stream next to the main creek and there she started naming every island she came to. 



A fun bridge further up. 



With mommy this time. 



Directly up from the bridge was this hidden rock wall that the creek ran right through. I loved it. 



The wall was hidden behind these trees. 



I loved the little pools, waterfalls, and golden leaves. I was so beautiful. I wanted to make a little house and stay forever.



Ezra made me take his picture on a board further up. 



Samuel in a crack in the wall...



...and Ezra too. They're well trained for pictures. 😄



Samuel on another board further up. 



The trees opened up soon after and the kids climbed around on this large boulder. 



Noah always tries to wreck photos. 




Atlas Evie!



I hiked up nearer the rock wall and looked down on the kids.



Posers. 



I love this picture. Look at how Samuel and Ezra have their arms around each other! 💙



Ezra made a big deal about crossing the river on only the rocks.



Everyone followed me down a hidden bank where I found the creek and a waterfall complete with mossy islands fit for Evie to name. 



See?



The water came down in a waterfall behind Terry. 



So fun.



Going on from there.



Big ol' pretty tree.



Colors just starting to turn.



We turned around right here but I really didn't want to! The area had just opened up with the granite needles right next to us. 



Turning around.



It would've been even better in a few weeks with the fall leaves. Just a few here. 



An obedient line of children heading back down the trail. We were in a bit of hurry to make it to RCC for Noah's cross country practice by 3:15pm.



Pretty. 



Pretty pretty.



Samuel was my little model. 



I loved all the granite we were walking by.



Pretty pretty pretty.



Littles on that little cave shelf once again. 



Jump!



This was my Garmin GPS map. One mile up and one mile back.



When I got home I found Faith had dropped off some Mums for me! So very sweet!



I made the kids some lentil tacos and we left for a couple hours. We got my gift at Scheels and then tried to figure out our dinner plans. In the beginning I had made a reservation at Delmonico Grill because I'd never been there before, but after we spent a fortune on my gift, we didn't want to spent a fortune on food. We decided to try MacKenzie Creek but left after we discovered it was just burgers and lunch type stuff. Then I decided I'd be fine with Longhorn Steakhouse, even though we go there a lot. However, there was like a 25 minute wait (on a Monday night!!), my husband was succumbing to hungry-anger, and I wanted to get back to the house where my parents were waiting with the kids to celebrate with us. So in the end we went over to Blaze pizza. Terry could finally eat. He was hangry. 



I was happy! It was my birthday and I was out of the house, didn't have to cook or clean up, no children, and had a wonderful day. It was good enough for me! 



Back at home, the kids took pictures of me. 😂



Cake time! 



Booties were my birthday present. Love them.



Kendra got me these flowers the next day! How awesome was my 37th birthday?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment