Thursday, August 20, 2009

disConnect

From Monday August 3rd through Saturday August 8th, Terry took 12 students to Laramie, WY, Table in the Wilderness Ministries. And since I didn't want to be all alone for nearly a week, me and the kids went too!

It was our FIFTH trip of the summer (1. Mexico, 2. Michigan - Nathan and Ana's wedding, 3. home - Shari and Jesse's wedding, camp), but it was really great. I was so glad that I went instead of staying home. In addition, I got to see my matron of honor and great friend SaraJane b/c she lives there! It was a win win situation.

The kids did pretty good - just okay. Noah did quite a bit better than Evie who did more than her fair share of whining. But it was better than the alternative.
.
.
Tuesday, Day 1: Repelling. I didn't go and Terry didn't take any pics w/our camera that I can find. I took the kids to SJ and Micah's house for the afternoon and had a nice visit.

Wednesday, Day 2: Rafting/Canoeing the North Platte River in Saratoga, WY. We also took in the hot springs there. I obviously couldn't take Evie so she and I hung out in the springs. Noah went w/Terry on the raft and did really well! We spent the night at "the land" in the mountains - the students camped in tents and me and the kids stayed in a nice little apartment!

The kids had to play in the water while we waited for the group to be ready to head down the river.

Our group

How cute, eh?

Would you believe Evie hardly got sunburned.

Terry's raft is just leaving. Anita is on the left. She was the other leader.

I raced down the road, over the bridge in time to catch the whole group going by. I was so proud to have helped w/the extra filming for the video... =)

Noah throwing rocks in the hot springs.

Here are the students in the water where the springs exits into the river. The hot water took a little time to get used to but even Evie was comfortable here.

We got ice cream afterwards. Noah is begging off of Rebecca.

Here is a field at the land. They're playing ultimate frisbee.

Terry's like, I'm the boss and I call the shots!
.
.
Thursday, Day 3: Mountain Biking! This was by far everyone's favorite activity, including me b/c I was actually able to participate (a couple staff watched my kiddos for me - so sweet of them). It was SO fun. I loved it! We slept at "the land" again.

Here is a pond they made w/a back-hoe in front of the lodge at the land. The creek was so pretty and the kids had fun throwing small rocks in until they got in trouble (which is kind of a sore spot for me...)

Evie explores around the land.

Here's the proof that I actually went on this trip. I LOVED mountain biking! I could do it every single weekend if we didn't live in a flat place...

Terry is rolling his bike back of this slope that he rode down 3 times. I thought he did pretty well. It's on the video.

Noah is hanging out at the campfire while the students play capture the flag.

Ricci, Jon and Terry guarding their flag.

Here is the lodge thing. Actually, it's just a kitchen and bathrooms right now. They will build an actual lodge later.

Behind this group is the apartment where the kids and I stayed.

Terry is about to walk behind the campfire.
.
.
Friday, Day 4: Hike Medicine Bow Peak. This was the most challenging activity. A lot of the kids had a hard time w/it, but as I recall, it's very rewarding (I went w/Noah and Terry two years ago - that's where the pic at the beginning is from). The kids and I were waiting at "the land." This part of the hardest part of the trip b/c the kids got bored and it was mommy's turn to get cranky... By this time, we were all ready to go home.

Before they hiked the mountain, they saw five huge Moose's!

They're just starting their hike.

So pretty!
.

Saturday, Day 5: Leave Laramie! The kids and I went home. Terry and the students went to a suburb of Denver for "Heavenfest," a large Christian music festival.

Here is the video Terry made. It is long but very good. It's too bad youtube took the sweet Skillet music off though...

No comments:

Post a Comment