Sunday, September 20, 2009

Evie's (very) bad day

Wednesday September 2nd started out rough and ended worse.
Evie musta woke early b/c she was cranky from the get go. But she was also teething, as far as I could tell from the copious amounts of drool on her shirt (I had hoped we were done w/bibs!).
I went out to get the mail in the morning and Evie followed me out. She went down the two front steps and then played in the empty swimming pool while I opened the mail just inside the door. Then she started crying, hard. You know, the kind where it's silent at first? Yeah. She fell on to the concrete while trying to get out of the pool.
Here's the goose egg. She's chewing on the tylenol syringe.

After that fall we all hung out in the guest room on the bed b/c there's a tv. The kids watched Sesame Street while I took care of some kind of business on the puter.
That Wednesday was the first day of youth group. So that evening Terry was already up at the building. I was home alone w/the kids in the backyard trying to pass the time before I could serve dinner and we could go to the building. Evie happened to walk under the monkey bar and was interested. I put her hands on it to show her how it worked. Then Noah saw. So he had a turn swinging on the bar. Then Evie wanted to have a turn. I put her up and caught her when she couldn't hold on any longer. Noah swung again.
That went on for a while before Evie wanted to swing too. So I held on to her hands and swung her a little. Noah's turn. Evie's turn w/lotza laughter. So I swung her higher. Too high b/c she whined. I thought she was just ready for dinner so I went and snuggled her on the swing before going inside for dinner. But she wouldn't stop crying.
So we went inside to read a couple peek-a-boo books b/c that always calms her down. It didn't work this time. She would only use her left arm. It was then I realized something was wrong.
Dr. Hult was still at the clinic and told us to come up when I called him. He said she must have subluxed her radial head - pulled her elbow out of joint and then it went back in. This happens when you jerk on a kids arm real hard. He said he didn't think she needed xrays or a cast.
He put her in a splint until the following Monday:
She did really well after that first night w/the splint - used it as if there was nothing wrong.
When we took it off Monday morning, she was fine. Didn't slow her down at all, thankfully. And I promise that I'm not that bad of a mom. It was just a really, really bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment