Wednesday, February 16, 2011

that first day

After Samuel was born we were moved to a different room. It ended up being the best one they had which was great since we were there for 4 days due to Samuel's jaundice.

It took Samuel a little time to get the hang of nursing which surprised me. Evie took to it immediately and easily. It took some work and time with Samuel, while Terry slept in the chair, which is what I wanted to be doing. I finally got him to sleep and tried to take a nap too.

Here is that sleeping hours-old newborn Samuel with aunt Stephanie's blanket to keep him warm.

We kept remarking that Samuel didn't look that swollen from the birth process. Looking back at these photos makes me think he was. His eyes are puffy and his face a little rounder than it is now. Still beautiful though! Oh, and you can see that little flake of skin on his forehead - his skin was peeling all over his body. Actually, he still is peeling over 2 weeks later. That's b/c he was overdue, overcooked.

I might have slept for like 20 minutes (I'm a poor napper) before breakfast arrived and shortly after, our kids! Noah and Evie did not have mommy and daddy there in the morning to get them ready so they knew something was up. Plus, Gramma and Grampa had big news for them - their baby brother was born! Right after breakfast (845am!) they came right over to the hospital which is only like 3 blocks from our house. I was so glad we stayed in town.

Here is Samuel during his sponge bath. All the nurses fussed over him, having a lot of fun with his hair.

They brushed it =)

Then I got to smell him - love that smell. Also, you can see from this photo how observant Samuel is. He really looks at you, studies you. Noah was a lot like that too, had this serious look on his face all the time. Samuel might be less serious and more deep... We'll see though.

Gramma and Grampa brought the kids back after dinner for Samuel's birthday party. I had bought a cake per Noah's request weeks before. This was one of the first times Noah held Samuel.

Then they moved to the love seat. Samuel started crying shortly after this and Noah did not like it. He looked up with this concerned look on his face and yelled out, "Someone cover my ears!"



The cake - yum. I look a little drugged. But hey, I had given birth and had almost no sleep during this day.

Snuggle

No comments:

Post a Comment