Tuesday, February 22, 2011

the name

Just about a year and a half ago I wrote this post, though it was a little vague. I was feeling "low" and ended my thoughts with a verse from Job:

JOB 1:20-21: At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."

I was referring to a miscarriage. I had been so excited to be pregnant with our third child only to have it taken away shortly after we found out the good news.

Then it was back to waiting for God to bless us with another child. It seemed to take forever. We even talked to Noah about if he would like another sibling. We prayed for another child.

One day while I was getting dressed in May 2010, Noah looked at me and remarked, "Mommy, your tummy is not big." I told him no it wasn't b/c there wasn't a baby in there. I asked him if he would like to pray for a baby and he agreed. We all came together and prayed for another child. I became pregnant within the next day (or two or three). I know this b/c I was charting. God answered our prayer. And more specifically, God answered Noah's prayer.

So that is the reason we named our new baby Samuel. It means "asked of God" or "heard of God."

Plus, I have always really liked that name.



2 comments:

  1. we too think it's a great name! he is a handsome little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the name story. I love it - also love the first photo! This must go in the children line-up of photos in your sitting room!

    ReplyDelete