Saturday, April 9, 2011

loving reading

Since Samuel was born, I have enjoyed having more time on my hands to read. How would that work? Nursing. I'm guaranteed a half hour while he fills his belly.

I really enjoy reading. The only thing is that I get really into stories. I get sucked in and it's hard for me to stop. I end up reading more than that half hour...

Anyone got any good book suggestions??

I started reading the last HP book while I was labor. Ha ha. Actually my mom read it to me and I continued while in the hospital the next 4 days. I love HP.

Next I read Redeeming Love. I had never heard of it and a friend borrowed it to me. I loved it. I need to own this one.

The Oath was sitting on my shelf but I don't recall reading it or how I got it. It was okay. A little repetitive and I knew where the story was going. Yes, another person has a black stain on their shirt. I wonder what will happen next... Come on, there's a picture of it on the cover. Sarcasm aside, it was entertaining.

The Visitation was another on my shelf I hadn't read. It was pretty good - more real to life than dragons. About a false messiah. I could relate to the main character and it was neat to see his relationship with God.

Some friends borrowed Heaven is for Real to Terry and I read it in a few hours. I had been skeptical when I first saw an interview or article, but it was great. Honestly, it really touched me. I would like to own this one and read it again.

Finally, I just finished And the Shofar Blew, and it was wonderful.

Well, I was really annoyed while I was reading the book but after I finished, I've come to appreciate why it was the way it was. It was a total "downer" for most of the book, until the last chapter. The main character was a supreme jerk. I'm talking about a man worthy of expletives, if I used them. Just a jerk, and worse b/c he was a Christian. He was so terrible to his wife and son. But somehow, God taught me about His incredible love for us, specifically me.

The whole book was about how vile and foul he was. I kept thinking, "This man does not deserve redemption." It's true, he didn't deserve it. And that's the point. I don't deserve it. No one does. And yet, that's how loving God really is. I suck, but if I humble myself and accept Christ and what He did for me, I'm in. He forgives and gives grace. If He could love "Paul" and forgive him and show him grace, then He does to me too.

I know it's not real, but it was real to me. And God uses stories to teach me about Himself sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. This is what I have read so far in 2011:
    Ragamuffin Gospel - Visual Edition
    Drops Like Stars
    Hunger Games Trilogy (You should definitely read these - I bet you would like them)
    Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (It was an okay read)
    Baby, We Were Meant for Each Other
    Cold Tangerines - new favorite author of mine!

    Reread:
    Traveling Mercies
    Blue Like Jazz and
    Irresistible Revolution
    Velvet Elvis
    (Needed a little reminder and inspiration)

    I really enjoyed all of the books - Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother was maybe the hardest to stay motivated with.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I have read so far in 2011:
    Ragamuffin Gospel - Visual Edition
    Drops Like Stars
    Hunger Games Trilogy (You should definitely read these - I bet you would like them)
    Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (It was an okay read)
    Baby, We Were Meant for Each Other
    Cold Tangerines - new favorite author of mine!

    Reread:
    Traveling Mercies
    Blue Like Jazz and
    Irresistible Revolution
    Velvet Elvis
    (Needed a little reminder and inspiration)

    I really enjoyed all of the books - Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother was maybe the hardest to stay motivated with.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete