Monday, March 19, 2012

ski trip 2012

I missed our youth group's annual ski trip in 2011 since Samuel was just a wee little babe so I'd been really looking forward to it this year - that and it would be our last trip with these students. My parents came down to watch our kiddos so Terry and I could take off for spring break with 3 van loads of kids - 26 students and 5 leaders. We went to Snowy Range Wyoming. And as you can see, the weather was gorgeous.

Thankfully Terry still loves me even though I'm no where as good of a skier as him. It had been two years since I skied and even before that I've only gone a handful of times. If you're gonna learn, when you're young is the time to do it. I'm past my ability to really catch on to it. Terry went in high school quite a few times so he can ski and video at the same time - even down a black or a jump. He's quite good. I fell down when I got off the lift for the first time. For a sporty-ish girl, it is a humbling experience but oh well.

Here's our group preparing to hit the slopes. Terry and I were good examples and wore helmets. Plus we wanted to come home to our kids if we did hit a tree or something (which actually happened to a student on Terry's first trip here!).

Me, Carlie, Brenda and Mallory. Brenda was the other female leader and we were together constantly since we were about the same speed. And I just love that Carlie girl! Mallory was too good for me to keep up with.

This sign was in front of a black diamond Carlie and I accidentally went down. We survived. Though Carlie and Rebecca convinced me to go down another black prior to that and I failed miserably. I side-stepped down half of the steep hill that I just couldn't get the guts to try to go down. And when I did get my courage up I just snow plowed the entire way and avoided the jumps entirely. Hey, I never said I was a good skier! I like to be in control. As I was side-stepping down, I asked Terry if he had lost all respect for me. Thankfully he hadn't.

Here's us after we were finished with two full days of skiing. No accidents this year thankfully! We had a fantastic group too.

We always give "black diamond" awards to all the students. I got one this year as well, "Satisfied on Centennial," meaning that I liked the easiest blue run there was. I don't like the speeding out of control feeling. Brenda presented this award to me and cried while she did it b/c we're buddies and we're moving. She made me and the rest of the girls cry too!

Terry and Brenda saying good bye to the Table in the Wilderness staff. We love this ministry. They take good care of us.

One last group photo before we load up. I'm gonna miss these students so much.

2 comments:

  1. How FUN! We used to do this every year (minus the skiing) with our youth group pre-kids. I miss it so much!! I'm impressed you do it post-kids - we're pretty selfish with our vacations these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great time and the weather was beautiful! Much better than the day we were up there. I had to add music to the video I made of M. because the wind was so bad.
    Oh and I definitely like to take it nice and slow as well. I am pretty sure that I was previously a turtle (slow and low to the ground are my favorite ways to move).

    ReplyDelete