Wednesday, November 15, 2017

changing seasons 2017

It's that time of year, or it was before the dratted time change, where sunset began right when I was making dinner or driving to youth group. 



The moon and some National Guard equipment.



We were on our way to youth group on October 25, the clouds started turning amazing colors so I yanked the van to a stop atop the hill by Stevens and snapped this picture. What was crazy was that the next day in my Facebook Memories, I had done the exact same thing in the exact same place last year! It's just that time of year I guess.



 I have to throw in some chronological animal pictures no matter what I'm posting about... This is the evolution of a kitty falling asleep on my lap one morning. 



Two nights later we were going to get a very hard frost and so we cleared the garden out.



The strawberries just started actually really producing this summer so even though it was nearly November they were still growing every day! They were amazingly delicious, even the pale ones! The cantaloupes, which I have already posted about, were also amazingly flavorful and juicy, and really, so were/are the carrots (we're still pulling them up now halfway through November!). 



The following week I caved and let the kitty snuggle with me during my quiet time. He purred so incredibly loud! 



Evie was sick again the following week so I stayed home with her one Wednesday night even though everyone else was at the church. Cute kitty...



...and cute puppy. :) And of course that's a cute Evie. 



For the final weekend in October we took a break from hikes to tackle some projects that needed to be accomplished. First off Terry cleaned the fish tank. I thought Ezra was funny running around with his little net so I told him to show it to me. He misheard me as requesting him to show me his "neck" and that's exactly what he did. Ha! What an obedient boy. ;)



There's the normal net accompanied by his usual shy smirky expression.



Didn't it look so good when Terry was done? I always says those fish are getting so big that we'll eat them at the end of the world. 



While Terry was working on the fish tank, Noah and Samuel were sent outside to begin raking the innumerable pine needles up. I took a quick picture of the mess and then headed outside to help. We cleaned up the yard and the gardens that day.



I had made up my mind to change the flower garden surrounding our back deck and started digging stuff up. My purple salvia flowers that came along with the house, and which I had already moved around when we made the path, are completely out of control. I cannot stand them. They make babies absolutely everywhere and are worse than weeds. Our brick path is absolutely overrun with them as is all the grass adjacent to the path. I hate them! So I dug them all up and got rid of them. It was a lot of work as you can imagine from the white arrows indicating how many there were!



Here's a before and after picture of all my hard work. My back was seriously tired out that night.



Perhaps you can see here better that the dirt is free of most plants. I'm going to plant some other things next year (I'd love dahlias like my sister has in Washington or perhaps peonies). 



I seriously considered keeping all the salvias and sneaking out onto the national guard land to plant them back there. They wouldn't be bad growing wild in an empty field, but hopefully the lilacs they planted back there will grow and fill the space. (This is the road behind our house and those little plants are the lilacs that I hope will survive the winter. We shall see...)

No comments:

Post a Comment