Monday, August 11, 2008

Ardis, my grandmother

This is my Grandmother, Ardis K.:
She passed away last Saturday, August 2nd, 2008, at 730pm. Her husband Ted was at her side as she went to be with Jesus. My family arrived at the hospital shortly thereafter.

Gramma grew up in Canby, MN, and married my Grampa after meeting him on a double date with friends, friends she still has. They used to go dancing. I never knew that till my aunt told me. They moved to a farm where Grampa had dairy cows, corn, beans and wheat. They had four kids total: my dad Steve, Nancy, Jeff and Dan. She become sick with polio between her 3rd and 4th children. She went to the Twin Cities (I think) for treatment and was in an iron lung. She came home confined to a wheelchair, though she could still make some use of her legs - she used to drive us to the Windmill restaurant and then the mall with both feet as long as I could get her wheelchair out of the trunk!

Nancy told me that they did have some help around the house, but Gramma never stopped working - she painted the stairs in their house one half of a stair at a time and then pulled herself up to the next one. The next day when the one side was dry, she sat on the dry paint and scooted down the stairs one at a time to finish. She was a hard working woman. And so kind, and quiet and loving. And she really loved Jesus. I remember her talking to me about Him as a child when I'd sit in her wheelchair in front of her recliner and she'd watch TBN =).

I'm so glad Terry made us go to Hills Alive a few weeks ago. I got to see her for the last time and tell her I loved her and give her a hug. She got to hold Evie and see Noah run around like the spaz that he is. But I wish I could have been at the hospital. She had been having trouble breathing - she was left weak from the polio and breast cancer in 2000. She had a coughing fit through one night and then Grampa called the paramedics who took her to the hospital. I got that call at camp, the night of the campfire. The doctors said she was in chronic respiratory failure and that short of a breathing machine, there was nothing they could do. It was just a matter of time. My aunt and a couple cousins from MN rushed out and were all able to be there shortly after she died. Grampa was the only one in the room though. He said she went quietly. I was thankful for that b/c she had had such a difficult time breathing at home those last few months. She told my dad she was just ready to go home.

When I got the call, I didn't cry immediately. I was sad of course, but most of me was kinda happy. I was happy for her to be with Jesus. I was glad that she was with Jesus standing. No more pain, no more anxiety ridden breathing, just peace and joy and Jesus. Then my aunt told me about how she used to love to dance. Now she gets to dance again! Praise God. I'm so thankful for the hope that we have as Jesus followers.

On the radio on our drive home we were listening to NPR and they had a story about a place in New York State called Inquiry Camp. It was a camp like any other except its purpose was to question God, His existence, His goodness, all of the above and more. Well, most people believe in God the reporter said. Yes, but how many really believe and love Jesus I wondered. So, the reporter just interviewed and observed these little kids as they talked about how unlikely it was that God existed. One said that she looked up in the sky at the stars and that they were so beautiful...a beautiful accident. The most thought provoking part was when the reporter chimed in. She said that most people believe in God to give them hope in death because they are afraid of dying. "What do you think of that?" she asked. A child that has previously been very quiet spoke up and said that he was terrified of death. Then there was silence in the room b/c they were all thinking the same thing - the fear of death.

I am free from the fear of death, "Since the children have flesh and blood, he (Jesus) too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death - that is, the devil - and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death." (Hebrews 2:10)

"This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel." (1 Timothy 1:10)

"When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: 'Death has been swallowed up in victory.'
'Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death is your sting?'
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Corinthians 16:5).

I'm so thankful that I don't have to fear death like those campers. I'm so thankful my Grandmother didn't have to either.





left to right on the bottom: Jeff, Steve, Nancy, Grampa, Dan



My sister Stephanie with Evie
my brother Nathan
My mom with Evie

Stephanie again









1 comment:

  1. such great thoughts, eva, death has lost it's sting!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete