Monday, August 1, 2011

Looking for God in Harry Potter - the explanation

I love Harry Potter.

That is probably no surprise to anyone who knows anything about me. I just plain love those books. The movies are fine. The books are am-a-zing.

Since the last movie of the entire saga came out recently (June 15, 2011) I've been even more excited than normal. Consequently I've had no small amount of curious comments about HP. You know, being a Christian and all (even a "pastor's wife," whatever that is), how can I like such obviously Satanic stuff?! Okay, so maybe I'm overstating the "curious comments."

I'm not a "well read" person. I'm not a literary genius. I find that I have a hard time explaining why it is that I love HP so much and why I don't think it's a bad thing. I say things like, God teaches me while reading HP (and also Lord of the Rings - which is another huge obsession of mine. and Star Wars). I say, The magic is just a literary device. I say, I just love good verses evil stories.

But these explanations fall short of what I mean to say, how deep and rich the Harry Potter series is. So, thanks to my friend Megan and her new found love of HP, I've bought a book to help me explain exactly what is good and right in Harry Potter. It's called Looking for God in Harry Potter by the appropriately named John Granger. I think he's Hermione's dad...

As I read it I'm going to blog about my favorite portions. B/c I'm sure there will be those. By just reading the cover I got thoroughly excited. I even took it to the optometrist this afternoon so I could squeeze in a little more reading and had to stop myself gushing all about it.

So there. Read if you'd like to know more about HP and why it's really okay. Even more pastor's wives.

No comments:

Post a Comment