Wednesday, May 2, 2018

spring flip flopping in SD

People are always complaining when there's snow in the spring and indeed, it seems like that's when we get most of our snow, but I don't whine. Not when half the forest or grasslands will probably go up in flame due to more drought. Bring the snow on. We need the moisture, though of course it'd be nice if it wasn't frozen when it fell from the sky.

So just a couple days after our sunny Easter egg hunt at the ranch, on April 2 we got some more snow, the second after our first spring storm a week earlier.



Two days later the kitty learned a new trick.



The kids were so worried!



He thought it was pretty fantastic though. 



I did help him down the first two times but since then he's figured out how to climb down by himself. It's pretty amusing to watch. He digs his front claws in, swings his bottom end around to go first, and uses those handy claws to climb down.



Luna likes to pull the cat around the back yard.



Four days later on April 6, we received even more snow. 



After reading complaint after complaint, I saw this on social media somewhere and had to steal it. Ha! 😹



No spring for us. 



Therefore, I bought some spring at Safeway and it bloomed inside.



That same day I took Noah out in the Envoy with four wheel drive to buy some new shoes. That boy is growing quick! After we found three pairs for $18 at Plato's Closet, we went and visited my parents and their new cat. They had recently put Dakota down and were interested in getting a new cat - I mean, how were they to survive with only one cat in the house?! 😜😂 They'd even visited the pound! However, through an acquaintance on Facebook that was looking to give away their mother's cat, they got a new one! Meet Ebony, or Ebi. She's a fat one. Hopefully a diet will improve her extra round shape. She's a really large cat, tall too.



I shoveled their sidewalk since my dad was actually away in Mesa, Arizona fetching my aunt Nancy.



From there we visited another shop, Clothing Mentor (why oh why do jeans never fit me?), and then I remembered I needed to pick up a new replacement blender for mine that broke recently. It had quit snowing and warmed up, and now steam was rising off the road. 



Remember how I said Noah was growing quickly? See?!!! 



Pastor Dave got sick with a pretty nasty spring cold, so Terry had to preach that Sunday, the 15th. 



The weather didn't warm up too quick I guess because we still had snow the next day, well, half a yard of snow, the shady part. 



Evie learned how to sew on buttons on the 10th.







After lunch we went outside to enjoy the sun since all the snow was gone! I put those stepping stones on the ground to cover up the mud. Grass seed never wants to grow there.



While the kids played, I transplanted the two big bushy perennials that have always drove me crazy. 



I put them under the laundry room window because that spot is always difficult to fill. Now it'll be more than full!



The snowy weather had been causing all the track meets to be cancelled. When the first one finally took place that night, Terry wanted to go to cheer for some students. I got dinner done early and the kids and I went along. There's Noah talking with Jack. 



The following day, the 11th, we spent some time playing outside at Canyon Lake. There had been a lot of wind that broke off many smaller branches off the huge trees. But when they were on the ground I could see the new buds beginning to emerge!



Playing by the water's edge. 



Ezra nearly fell in! Not really though.  



Most of the geese had flown but these ones were still present. 



Luna is hilarious when she chases the geese.




We did play at the boring playground for a while but since we didn't have a leash for Luna, I took us for a walk to explore more interesting things, namely nature! 



There were rain clouds on the horizon! That sure was hopeful looking.



It was so warm out! We were all overdressed for a nice change. 



 Luna played at the water's edge a lot. She had to have a bath when we got home.



Luna would actually fetch larger sticks that the kids threw nearby for her.



Fetching footage.




More daffodils! 



We needed new spring cheer since we were getting more snow two days after our romp at Canyon Lake, on the 13th.



I believe this was our last spring storm.  



Some actual footage of the blowing and cold.



The kids played later, it was their last chance to sled. 



Last chance to slide into a pillow of snow. 



Plop out of the slide.



See you next year Snow Dog. 



It's hard to remember anymore, but I think they were forecasting more snow than we received. 



I made delicious pizza that night, just like every week. 



Ealier in the day Ezra plays Mariokart for the first time and it was adorable.



The following day, the 14th, I worked. I had to walk across a sheet of ice to get in the back door. That afternoon it was completely gone and hardly any puddles were even left. The good thing about spring snow is that it is gone quickly. 



I took the Envoy to work since I was worried I'd get stuck. I did put it in 4WD to pull up the little icy hill to park.



Pretty drifting off the roof. And that's the end of our spring snow storms! Now we just need several days of good, heavy, consistent rain. 🙏 


No comments:

Post a Comment