Friday, May 2, 2008

Evangeline's birth

Evangeline's birth was quite interesting. Since so few have heard it besides the fam, I thought I'd share.

After a very careful pregnancy (checks every week for the last 3 months for fear of premature labor), we were finally having weekly checks simply b/c we were nearing the end of the pregnancy which is normal. My due date was Saturday March 29. That day came and went (so much for a weak cervix!) and we started wondering if we were going to have to be induced with terrible Pitocin like with Noah (the doctors were itching to put me through this torture so they could be in control). However, we had been praying for a long time that I would be able to have a natural birth.

On Monday, March 31, we went to our doc, for another appt after a sleepless night (the previous 2 nights had also been sleepless b/c I had a very difficult time sleeping while I was pregnant). I was EXHAUSTED. The doctor said I was still 3 cm dilated like I had been for the previous 3-4 weeks and they could induce that day if I wanted. We declined and said we'd come back Thursday and if I still hadn't started they would induce the following Monday. We were happy with that and went to Walmart to do our monthly BIG shopping trip for my menu.

We were nearly finished when I began having contractions after a trip to the ladies room. We grabbed the bananas, peppers and apples and headed to the check-out while timing contractions. They were about 5 minutes apart. I went to sit down while Terry paid and I thought, this sure feels familiar, not like the practice contractions. Ladies, you know what I mean.

We planned to have some subs and then head home but decided to wait it out in Subway to determine if these contractions were the real thing. Terry got a sub and scarfed it while timing for me - still about 5 minutes apart but getting stronger.

--It was so funny to watch him watch me. He was like totally throwing the groceries onto the check-out conveyer belt and recording my contractions in his palm pilot. He was too excited to even finish his sandwhich.--

We decided we'd better head to the hospital. We checked in at 12:14pm and Evangeline Kristina was born at 1:24pm! Yeah, a little intense. It was going so quickly, and hence painfully, that I wanted an epidural. They got it in but I never received the meds for whatever reason. She was born like 5 minutes later.

So, contractions started in Walmart at like 1115 and she was born just about 2 hours later!

I have to give God praise b/c He totally had us in His hands. #1 We were already in town and if we had headed back to home, Evie would have been born in the van. #2 I was exhausted and so God gave me a very quick labor. #3 Noah was already being watched by Terry's aunt. #4 I didn't have to be induced! #5 I am sleeping better.

Praise God.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story--I am happy that things worked out the way that you had been hoping for. We look forward to someday meeting her!

    ReplyDelete