Thursday, March 19, 2009

skiing

So last weekend was our spring break and I accompanied Terry to Laramie, WY, and Snowy Range Ski Resort for our annual high school ski trip. We go w/a ministry there called Table in the Wilderness. They're really great to us and it's very econimical for the kids.

We also partnered w/ another youth pastor, Darwin and his wife Theresa. There was also a small group from a neighboring town. Darwin's church owns their own charter bus so we just all crammed about 40 kids and adults in there and took off - we brought 18 students of our own!

The first day of skiing started out w/an inury. Terry was teaching a somewhat unatheletic girl how to ski and on their first time down the bunny hill they collided and she was a little hurt. The lift operator insisted ski partrol get involved and they ended up treating her as if she had a spinal injury and took her to the hospital. She turned out fine and Terry accompanied her through the whole scary process.

The second day of skiing brought one more injury - Theresa. She is a great skier but fell in such a way to tear what looks like her ACL...

But otherwise the trip was great. It was only my 3rd time ever skiing and I began to think I'm not such a natural skier (just watch the footage, I look quite clumsy, something I'm not used to and didn't like) but I blamed it on my "new found" mortality that I think comes w/having kids. If I felt out of control or like I was going to fast, I just sat down. But if we keep going every year, I just might get better. I hope...


Terry on the other hand has skied 20-25 times, he says. So he did a bit of that but then tried snowboarding. =) He's got some natural ability too (like all of those kids do) I would say.

Oh, and my parents were GREAT and drove down to watch our kids for us so we had no worries.


Here are the two videos I made: One of me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQqGEQj7ww4 and one of Terry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSlwkMCWL4g. I think they're hilarious.








2 comments:

  1. Eva,
    I think you did pretty good considering it's only your 2nd time this decade! Does the 6th grade time really count? =) Terry makes the snowboarding look easy, and I know it's not-I always wanted to try, but I too am afraid of getting "broken".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eva, you're a WAY better skiier than I am. I HATE skiing.
    F

    ReplyDelete