Monday, July 6, 2009

chiropractor military necks

So, my neck has been hurting me. Has it ever happened to you that a nerve feels as if it's lodged in your neck?
.
Before we left for my brother's wedding, my neck was feeling like that. And it hurt. Of course it hurt. But I thought it would just go away. It's happened to me in the vague past I'm sure, but this time it wasn't going away. So when we returned from our large Michigan trip I made an appointment w/the community chiropractor, who happens to be our friend and also goes to our church. I went on the 2nd and he took x-rays and adjusted me. I feared that he was going to snap my spinal cord in half and kill me but I turned out just fine.
.
I went back today and in his office was my neck x-ray hanging off the lighted board...
.
He said I have a "military neck," which just means that it's straighter than it should be, it's lacking the normal curve like in that photo above. This is what's causing the pain and it can be corrected through adjustments.
.
I just sat their staring at my own bones and it was so strange, a little freaky even. Really, I was struck w/how people can actually believe that our physical body is all that there is to us.
.
On our way back from aforementioned trip, we listened to a Christian program featuring a dialogue between an atheist and a Christian. They wrote a book called, "Deepest Differences: A Christian-Atheist Dialogue" where they respectfully discuss each other's viewpoints. It was interesting, but very sad. The atheist was an evolutionist and believed that we are animals. He said he loves his grand children just the same as animals love their off-spring, as if it's just simply instinct. He believed that there is nothing more to him than his physical body, that his thoughts and mind are just functions of his brain. When he dies, he will just cease to exist and he is okay with that.
.
As I looked at my x-ray, I was struck w/how strange it was to look at "me." I never think of myself as if I'm solely physical, flesh and bones. I am so caught up w/the spiritual aspect of my life that I forget I live in a body, as it were. How depressing to think that those bones are all that there is.
.
In college while studying Anatomy and Physiology, I had the same thoughts. How crazy to believe that all we are is a piece of meat. That all that happens in my brain, the communication that goes forth from God and myself, is just meat. That we could be solely physical and nothing more. It's just ludicrous to me.
.
I'm so thankful that my bones look strange to me. That I don't think of myself the way that atheist does. I have such a hope that I can't stand waiting most of the time. I simply can't wait to be united w/my Creator...

No comments:

Post a Comment