Sunday, June 14, 2009

my new friend

I have a new friend. Terry might not be pleased w/it. Snap certainly isn't pleased w/it. You see, it's a cat. =) That's why this picture is taken from the outside, where I'm hangin w/my new friend. He keeps half yelping and running around to the front door to scratch at it. He's all grown up. He's killed 2 black birds in the last few days...

Did you know that I've always loved cats? Well, less than I used to since my kids came along, but still a lot more than dogs. Yes, Snap is not my favorite addition to the B's household. I like my furniture better than him, probably.

We always had a cat growing up, from before I was even born. They still have a cat, Garfield. Lumpy old punk. Before that was Little Bits who died of kitty cancer. Garfield was the only kitten of hers who we couldn't sell. Before him was Cocoa who hated us, and for good reason. We were all quite young and abusive when she was around. Before her was Cuddles. Before her was a white one that was a fighter cat. Terrible looking thing from the pictures.

I was always so scratched up. I remember once my Gramma K telling me that I should not hold the cat for a while so I wouldn't have any scratches on my arms and legs for my pretty Easter dress.

At any rate, cats make a place feel like home to me. When I walk by houses here and see a cat lounging around outside, I kind of sigh and wish I had one.

Terry is allergic, sort of. He got used to Garfield when we dated, but didn't care for the sniffles he got and the cat hair that covered everything. I guess I don't miss the hair all over my clothes. I don't even have to worry when I wear black.

We got Snap b/c we thought Noah needed a play mate. He's good for that. Noah wrestles Snap instead of his sister. I'm just not that fond on him. He's so needy. Cats are smarter and more independent. When Noah hurts Snap, he just takes it and comes back for more. A cat would have more sense and would hide and scratch. Take that kid!

So anyway, I came home from a walk w/the kids to this little friend peeking out of our garage:

A nice, skinny, little, friendly, calico, kitten-looking cat. What pretty colors eh? My kids were immediately excited but the cat was shy of them. Evie would have waited around a long time for that kitty to show itself again. So I put them to bed and...

...fed the cat. Yes, I did the thing I'm not supposed to do. I fed that cat b/c I liked it so much.

Look at those pretty green eyes! I brought Snap out to see what he would do and as soon as I got him on the lead, he barked and she hissed. So yeah, my dreams are dashed already.

This kitty must be a mother. She sure is skinny though and not in a hurry to get back to her babies. Maybe they're grown...

Eat up kitty. Who knows what Terry will say when he gets home from a meeting at church. Probably laugh...

I like my little friend, though I don't know if we have a future or not. I dunno though. While I wrote this she wandered off and when I went to look for her, she was under the Malibu in the garage =). I like her.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like trouble! Matt is a cat guy but he still would never let me keep a stray (or any pet for that matter), at least for now...hope it works out for the best-whatever that may be.

    ReplyDelete