Thursday, June 21, 2012

petting reptiles

Since Monday Terry's been with the middle school students biking the Mickelson Trail. That means I've had to manage 3 small kids on my own - no small feat. (here's a map for you since i know you were dying to know. they camped at Deadwood, then Rochford, then Custer and finally-tonight- Hot Springs.)

From past experience, I knew it was important to stay busy to prevent us all from going crazy. So that's exactly what we've done. Tuesday we went to Reptile Gardens and then drove an hour into the hills to see daddy at Rochford. Wednesday we went to the ranch and then drove well over an hour to Custer to see daddy. Today we are hanging out at home, counting the hours til daddy gets home tomorrow. I have put 200 miles on the van in two days!

At any rate, I gave Noah a quick review about what reptiles were before we left and before we knew it, we were face to face with real life reptiles. Check out them snappers.

We went with my sister-in-law and good buddy Shari and "baby" Grace (as Evie always calls her)

We learned the difference between alligators and crocodiles and how they have two sets of eyelids - one transparent one to protect their eyes under water. We also learned how to correctly "wrestle a gator" like his shirt said.

We went to a bird show next, which, incidentally was the kids' favorite part and quite pointless to get pictures of, and then to the kids park where I tried not to lose any children. Here's Samuel and Grace in the tube play thing.

Next we went and saw something completely native to me but never seen up close by my kids: Prairie Dogs. Oh, and Evie saw a rattlesnake and we all saw a python though I was the only one brave enough to touch it. I must be a Gryffindor at heart right?

Next were the giant tortoises. Noah was far too interested in it's "long neck" to look at the camera as instructed. That other kid did good though, aside from the blink.

These two tortoises were only 40-45 years old. Methuselah died last year after 130 years. Oh and I almost forgot: This one gave me a priceless memory - the sound and smell of tortoise gas as I walked behind him. Yummy.

Next we headed into the tropical-like dome. Pretty flowers and uninterested boy. There were some that smelled like chocolate!

Turtles and more turtles. I love turtles.

And a pretty waterfall. But the best part of the trip is that though it was expensive to get in, we have passes that will last until November 30! Next we'll force Daddy to come along. :)

3 comments:

  1. That place looks awesome!!

    Did those turtles not bite?

    One of my favorite memories of the zoo is the time that the turtle bit Chris. It was priceless.

    (He doesn't have quite that fond of a memory, though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! what kind of turtle bit him? a snapping turtle? these were really docile tortoises that hardly moved.

      Delete
  2. "That other kid did good though. . . " hahahaha. Eli would love this place!! And for some reason he wants to take a trip to hot springs.

    ReplyDelete