Saturday, June 16, 2012

Trekkies

I have a confession to make.

I'm a Trekkie.

So I guess that makes me a geek. That along with my love for Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.

However, I only love Star Trek: The Next Generation. So I'm not a complete Trekkie. I don't know what it is about make-believe worlds, but I'm a sucker for them.

But I have to say, I was raised to appreciate sci-fi in general. We often watched Star Wars and all the other Star Trek shows. My mom was and is a fantastic cook. Luckily I took after her. She used to make pizza once a week and our whole family got to eat it in the living room while watching Star Trek Next Generation (a tradition I've carried on but with a family movie night instead of the STNG). So perhaps what happened is that the good fuzzies associated with the best pizza ever became combined with the STNG and I came to associate them together. Good feelings.

And then there were the Wardyns in Nebraska:

I don't remember how it happened, but we discovered we both shared a similar interest in STNG. They had the DVDs!!! And they very graciously borrowed them to us. For a long time.

I didn't realize how long we'd had them until we finished the last episode of the entire SEVEN seasons this week. Which by the way, is where all the warm fuzzy feelings are coming from which led me to write this ridiculous post that no one but the Wardyns, Terry and I will appreciate.

We've been borrowing those DVDs from the Wardyn's for over a year. I remember feeling sad that I couldn't watch Star Trek with Terry while he was away in Mexico for two weeks last summer (we only watched together. awwwwww.). A year later, the Wardyns even let us take the DVDs to SD with us since we weren't finished at the time we moved. They are so nice.

So now the warm fuzzies are associated with the Wardyns, Terry and family STNG pizza nights. I love this show.

2 comments:

  1. YES!!

    I am totally an ST:TNG trekkie as well, but ONLY that show. Before we had kids, Chris and I watched it together all the time. I even saved and saved and saved and bought him the last season on DVD for his birthday one year.

    Too bad we don't live closer..we could totally have a watching party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! i'm not the only trekkie/trekker! my family watched all the newer seasons. i did not care for deep space nine but voyager wasn't too bad i thought.

      Delete