Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Evie's K reading and math

 I am teaching Evie to read differently than I did with Noah. We're currently using The Well Trained Mind's suggestion of The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. It's pretty straight forward, and very systematic. I like it. It'll probably take us into next year which I am okay with! At the end of some of the lessons are some optional enrichment activities. This one sounded too fun to pass up, which is what I usually do since I'm worn out after just one lesson with her. She had to fish for letters with this pole I made out of a ruler, twine and a magnet. Each letter had a paper clip that was of course attracted to the magnet. 


Once she fished out a letter, she put it together with the sound we were learning that week: ang. "PANG!" she says!


Additionally, last week Evie completed her Math-U-See Primer workbook, which I guess is supposed to be for Kindergarten. It's only 30 lessons (with about seven worksheets per lesson) and was pretty easy. Noah is nearly done with his Beta workbook so I had to order them both the next books this week! At this rate we'll be doing algebra in 5th grade. Just kidding. I do quite like this curriculum as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment