Friday, September 12, 2014

flume hike

The day after we biked the bike path, we went for a hike. I don't think I've been on a legit hike since we returned to Rapid. When we were in Nebraska, I always missed the hills, but for some reason, I now we never get out into them! Probably has something to do with having a baby. And three other kids. The punks!

My friend Frannie had told me about this Flume hike and gave me directions. I also checked online so we wouldn't get lost. It was only about 20 minutes from home right off Sheridan Lake Road so that was nice. Before we started we visited my parents who were picnicking right up the road at Dakota Point where I used to cliff jump. Then we started our hike with all four kids. And Snap.

Here we are just starting.



Evie especially loved the bridges but Samuel was a bit scared. 



Here we are at the other end of the longer tunnel. There was a hiker who had come up from the opposite side of the trail and met us here so we had her take our photo. We had been planning on turning around at this point to go back since the kids (Samuel) were whining, but she informed us that we were nearly to the end if we took a left from the trail not far ahead of us. All we had to do was follow the way she had come, veering off the trail to the left and down the hill back to the parking lot. I didn't realize the hike was a loop. Turns out we took the long way to the tunnels but got to hike next to the Spring Creek, which was beautiful and fun for Snap to swim and drink from. But we were so thankful to have met this woman who helped us out.



Ezra needed a turn to walk his slow baby legs not far from when we took the shortcut down the hill. 



When we came out of the trees and saw the parking lot across the creek, we were like Hallelujah! We had only been gone about two hours, but the littles were so done. I think we'll have to do this hike again now that we know how to do it properly.



Mapmyrun.com says I burned over 1000 calories! Haha, I kind of doubt it. 

1 comment:

  1. I did this hike often in high school. I had forgotten about it until I read this. I will have to remember it for our next trip to Rapid - my kiddos love hiking! Glad you had a fun time,

    ReplyDelete