Wednesday, July 2, 2014

2014 disConnect

After the bike trip in June where Terry was gone and I was a single parent for the week, I was ready to go alone with him on a trip. Well, sort of alone. We traded our kids for other people's kids (ours stayed with behind with Grammas and Grampas). 

So June 23 through 27 Terry and I went to Table in the Wilderness camp in Centennial, WY for his disConnect high school trip. This had to have been his sixth or maybe even seventh time doing this and my fourth. What was special though was it was the first time I was able to do everything since I didn't have my kids with me. It was great!

We like this camp/ministry because they make the trip very easy for us. They house us, feed us, provide equipment and trained staff to support us. We're not particularly roughing it. Here's the view from our heated cabin (it was actually too hot the first night though it was in the 40's outside).

Monday we went rock climbing in Vedawoo, WY.  Every single person climbed. It was great.

Since there was another group there with us (from Georgia) and it was crowded, about half of us went for a hike to the top of the rocks they were climbing below. 

A highlight of the trip for Terry and I was hanging out with this guy - Kyle from Gburg, where we were for five years. He was such a great kid, then in high school, and now he's married with his first child and is on staff at Table. I was giving him a hard time since I was entrusting my life to his belaying.

Me climbing. It was an easy one but still scary!

After once I had had enough. But Terry went over to the more difficult course and nailed it. It was like twice as high as the one I did.

Hi Terry.

The following day, Tuesday, we went back to Vedawoo for repelling. This was by far the most challenging thing for the entire group, myself included. But here we are, clueless and happy.

I love his shot. Check out how freaked out and serious everyone is. It was scary.

We were watching the staff guys get the ropes ready for us. This is what we saw. We were like 100 feet up in the sky, waiting to repel off the huge rock. From where Cam is, it looks like a complete drop - you can't see where you're going.

But you can see from the side that there are a couple of lips to get over before you were actually dangling from your rope properly. This was the absolute worst part. Backing up towards a huge drop off....

But once you got over that lip and all you had to do was lower yourself down, it was quite enjoyable. 

Here's the view from the other side of the valley. You can see some kids on top of that rock.  

I did it too. And I was so scared. But I conquered. We all did!

Back at camp we had a downpour and then a beautiful double rainbow.  

The following day, Wednesday, would have been our hike day. However, the mountain was still under this much snow.  

So we went sledding instead!

Ben went down without a sled and it was hilarious. 

Next we drove over the mountains to Saratoga to the natural hot springs.  The last time I had been there, Evie was only 18 months old - go look because she's so adorable. The water that day was extra hot. Here in the "lobster pool," it was nearly 140 degrees. That didn't stop some daredevils (ahem, Kyle and Parker) from going in briefly. Crazies. I was against it.

This next pool was just a shade cooler at like 130 degrees. I like how Kyle photo-bombs Tim and Tyler's shot and looks like he's lazily backstroking through the water instead of feverishly trying to get to the other side so he can get out.  

The next day, Thursday, was our last. It was busy. Canoeing, mountain biking and rock wall climbing. Because the Platte River was far too high and dangerous to canoe (lots and lots of snow and rain this year), we went to a lake. The best part was when all of us came together and Terry ran back and fourth across the boats. We are stronger together.

That afternoon we finally got to go mountain biking. That was the very best part of the trip for me. It was awesome. The only bummer part was Jazmin had a couple wrecks. The first one she broke her chain clean in half and her second she fell on a hill and scraped herself up. 

After dinner we all climbed the rock wall and did the zip line. Oh and got eaten alive by mosquitos. Terry beat me to the top on the harder course.  

That night we had a campfire, told stories, ate smores and said goodbye to our new friends. Syndey and Dana randomly decided these two Georgia boys were their new best friends. However, after Terry took their picture, he discovered with the flash what he couldn't see before - Michael photo-bombing their photo, making this hilarious and freaky face. We laughed so hard.

And Friday we left! On the way down I was like, "It's nice to be away from the kids." On the way back I was ready to be with my kids again and away from the students. But it was a great time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment