Friday, January 1, 2016

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

It's no secret that Terry and I love Star Wars. I grew up watching it all the time (as well as Star Trek). What can I say? My parents liked sci fi. Therefore, I like sci fi.  I can't even remember the first time I watched Star Wars so it's nearly a part of my DNA ;) Terry's affection for Star Wars is more self induced since his parents weren't into it. I'm probably the bigger fan.

I did a quick blog search to see how many times I've referenced Star Wars. There were three pages worth of posts. Ha! I have a SW stick family on the back of my van, a Han Solo rug in our basement, nicknames for our children (Ezra and Evie) based off the movies, Noah's extensive SW Lego collection, and light sabers galore. They are my all time favorite movies. If I could pick any movie to watch at any time, it would be the original Star Wars series. And if I was pressed I would choose The Empire Strikes Back. I don't know why, but I love them. I think it's partly to do with nostalgia. I've watched them for so long they just feel like home. 

So with the new movie, The Force Awakens, coming out December 18, of course we wanted to see it and to go as soon as possible. I thought it would be fun to go to the midnight the night before but wasn't sure if I could be up for that now that I'm old. When I found out a group of our friends and youth leaders were going opening night, I was tempted. However, Terry was not. I mentioned their plans to a student, Jazmin, who is also a fan, and she wanted to go along in a bad way. After she bought her ticket, we were pretty much locked in. We bought our tickets after Terry and I finally got on the same page. First he didn't want to do it. Then I didn't want to do it. 

But did pull the trigger I did:



The night before the show was a Wednesday. While I was waiting for Terry to come home from youth group I watched Return of the Jedi to get myself psyched up (as if I needed any help). I thought it would be helpful for those who don't understand our Han Solo rug to see a screenshot of them side by side. The left side is the movie and the right is our rug. He he he.



The only reason it worked out for us to go so late in the evening was because my brother was in town and staying with us. They had come from Kerkhoven that day to pick up a van they were buying. It was a very quick trip. Just two nights and a day in between. At first Nathan thought he'd like to go but came to his senses when he realized he would have been driving for nine hours that day and would be exhausted. After they went to bed at 930pm, we took off for the theater. 
Look how HUGE Thorin is now!


 We got to the theater not long after our group of friends but felt too bad to cut in line with them, even though they'd be saving us seats. We took turns visiting with them and geeking out (me more so) and then I just followed them in, leaving Terry to be the moral one. It all worked out. It was actually a lot of fun waiting in line. I had initially been sort of dreading the insanity that the opening night would bring, but it was awesome. It was so much fun being surrounded by a group of people who were just as excited as I was.

We got an entire row just for our group of 14. Terry is showing off a blurry little Han Solo (and Princess Leia) figurine he was given back in high school. 



Me, Jazmin, and Prae.



It was dark and I'm terrible at selfies; I turned the camera off several times! Here's me, Jaz, Prae, Steven, and David. David cracks me up. He was not excited to be there and didn't share our enthusiasm at all. He fell asleep twice!



The movie was fantastic. I loved it. When the opening credits of "STAR WARS" began, the whole theater erupted in cheers and applause. It was SO FUN!!! At every point in the movie when something iconic came on (like the Millenium Falcon or Han Solo) we called cheered. I'm so glad I went. It was an awesome experience being in a theater with others who loved the experience as much as I did. 

I bought this R2D2 shirt back in September or October and of course had to wear it (though not a flattering angle - again, not good at selfies).



We took all the kids except Ezra to see it along with the Shankles the following Tuesday. Unfortunately, the two biggest surprises of the movie had been spoiled for Noah and Evie at Sunday school. It's hard for kids to contain their excitement. I badly wanted to discuss it too! I don't think it ruined the movie for the kids though. They still loved it. It was a lot of fun watching Noah's expressions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment